Saturday, May 19, 2012

5K Race Day

Well the day finally came. The 5k race. My friend Veronica and I have been "training" since March. It's been hard with kids. Her kid got sick and my kid got sick. Then we both got sick . We took a lot of days off and I wasn't sure we were going to be able to make it. My lungs weren't sure either. But we've really pushed hard these past few weeks and we made it through. We both got up at like 5 am to be to the race shuttle by 6 and then we waited an hour at the starting line to run. The race started in the mouth of the canyon and It was freeeezing cold but once we got moving it got better. About 5 minutes into running some stupid kid came pushing to get ahead and pushed my friend and she rolled her ankle. I would've sprinted to punch his punk-ass in the face but I wanted to make sure she was ok. She fought through it and we only walked like twice for 2-3 minutes. I really think we could've ran the whole thing. I was so pumped up that I'm sure my adrenaline would've carried me to the finish line but...we started together and we wanted to finish together. At the last mile we sprinted to the finish line. It was such an awesome feeling.

We finished in 38 minutes. Our goal was under 45.

My husband and son were there cheering us on.

It was so fun. I can't wait to do the next one. (Which is next month on the 9th for Autism Awareness.)
I'm very proud of myself for actually doing it. I think I may have a new hobby! The first place winner did it in 15 minutes! WHEW...Someday I will try for it. But not anyday soon! I would like to work up to a 10K, then a half marathon and then someday a full marathon. Sounds crazy now but if I give myself ample training time I think I could do it!

I'm going to try to beat my time with this next race.
Freezing before the race started

...and we're off!...







Laughin like crazy faces








1 comment:

  1. Congrats! Warning: running is soo addictive, pretty soon you will be blogging about full marathon training.

    ReplyDelete