Thursday, April 12, 2012

Fluff Butt

I've been getting a lot of questions about cloth diapering lately and so I've decided to write about it.

 We decided to go with cloth not because we are these earth friendly, waste-conscious people but because we like to save money. Any way we can save money...we are all about it. The fact that it is good for the environment just happened to be another perk of cloth diapering.

A friend of mine decided to cloth diaper and I think my first question was "eeew why?"  ( a familiar reaction I now get)

When she explained all of the pros of doing it and broke down how simple it actually was...I was in. I didn't take very much convincing when I told my husband about how much money it could save.

We bought his first batch of cloth about 5 months into the pregnancy. It's not really necessary to buy them that early but we were excited.  I looked online for the best options and got my friends opinion and we decided to go with Fuzzibunz brand.  (They're lifetime guarantee on the snaps sealed the deal for me and has really come in handy) Now everybody in the cloth diapering community will tell you "Don't get just one brand" try a few out etc.. etc.. but for us...I'd heard great things about Fuzzibunz and so we just went with the same thing. Luckily they have worked out great.

They are amazingly cute and honestly they work the best for my lil stinky booty. He has mama's butt and will literally explode out of the top of disposables. Cloth keeps everything in. The only time we have leaks are when  we sleep through his night-time changing. This happens for obvious reasons.

I'll give you some facts in case you are wondering:

Q. Do you have to dunk the diaper in the toilet?
A: Absolutely not. Those days are over. We went with flushable liners to catch his poo and simply shake it into the toilet and put the cloth in the wet bag.

Q: Do you have to use safety pins?
A: No...yet again. Those are the old days. The new cloth diapers come with wonderful snaps (that adjust with your babies's growth from birth through potty training) or verelcro(sp?) and also adjustable leg adjustments to grow with your lil guy or girl.

Q; What do you do when you "go" places?
A: I still use cloth. I have a travel wet bag and bring his inserts and extra dipes. You store the dirty dipe in the travel wetbag and put it in the big wetbag when we get home.

Q: What's the worst part of cloth diapering
A: Well just like with disposables...Things get stinky.  If you store enough disposables in your trash you're gonna smell it.  Opening his wetbag nearly knocks me out everyday...but it's only when I open it. There is not a lingering funk. When it's time to wash I simply dump the wetbag into the washer and wash everything. I don't have to touch anything. (side note: I will be getting a pail soon because I washed my wetbag and it ripped :( ...it's a learning process)

Q: Does it cost a lot of  money?
A: At first maybe. The diapers can range from $7-$30 a pop. We shelled out about $400 up front for 20 diapers. But a pack of disposables is about $15+ and you'll go through one in a week.  Babies go through 8-12 diapers a day. In the end you'll save up to $1000+ a year.

Q: How do you take care of them?
A: I have to wash every other day usually. (It doesn't really increase my water bill by much honestly) and I use a special soap for cloth diapers called Rocking Green. I've been using cloth for 6 months and I bought 2 bags and I still have 1 entire bag left. You use literally teaspoons with each wash.
click on the picture for Rockin Green site
I opted to use liners because I didn't want to use a diaper sprayer and I like it a lot better. It also causes less staining on my dipes. If they do stain I just stick them out in the window to "sun" and the stains are gone. In the winter I tumble dry them on low heat.

Q; Do you feel like it's worth it overall?
A: Yes Yes yes! Absolutely. I NEVER have to run to the store for diapers or have to worry about running out. When I'm down to the last few diapers I just wash. Done and done.

The cloth are so cute and they really contain his "messes." I've tried disposables a lil bit and i'm definitely more fond of cloth. I like to match his lil outfits with his dipe and I don't feel like my kid looks trashy just sitting in his diaper.

 Since i'm staying home this is never an issue. If you are not going to stay-at-home it may not be an option. You really have to be dedicated. Also, other people may not want to get involved (ie: daycares, grandparents) But for me it's been great. My parents and in-laws know how it works and are all in.  My husband had never changed a diaper in his life before my son, so he really only knows how to do cloth. He can do it in his sleep. (it's important to have your spouse on board)

I definitely have to say " to each his own. " but for me this has worked out great. We love it and we will not go back. If you have any questions feel free to post comments and I will do my best to answer.  Google is also great. There is an entire cloth diapering community out there.

This is the one i'm on at Babycenter.com

Click on the logo to for more info

Fuzzibunz has an awesome buy 5 get one free sale every few months.

I don't have any of these but I might try some. They have cool colors



IF you're interested in Cloth and want to participate or jut get more info about it, the Great Cloth Diaper Change is happening Saturday April 21st around the world. 

I went to this while I was still pregnant and got a ton of info from retailers and other cloth moms. I will be there again this year to change my lil one's bum for the world record. Yay!

Click on the logo or here to find a location nearest you. Good luck!



WARNING: Graphic Content of Baby Getting diaper changed!!!!!


Coen in a disposable for his size

Look at that gap and how easily it pops open
The diaper and the insert (I usually pre-stuff these
after each wash...but for the sake of learning...)
Insert goes in the back of the diaper

Push it all the way to the front (especially for boys)

Tear off one liner
(I buy these from amazon for about $8 for a roll of 100. I get like 6 at a time.)

Lay on top of diaper



Fold up over "wee bits"

Snap 

snap

Snap

snap, snap
(You'll know where to snap according to how big your baby is)

I pull the back up over his butt cheeks
 just to make sure nothing is hanging out
No gap!

Done!



Here's the dirty one...

Knock liner into toilet

Flush!
(They are biodegradable and have not clogged my pipes if you're wondering) 
Shake insert into wetbag


Drop in diaper

Zip
(Wetbag's on Amazon)

Wash hands


Blue Dawn for "Power Soaks."
I soak the diapers once a month to remove any residue and buildup.
I learned about this online. If you get "ammonia" diapers...this will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment